Sunday, September 5, 2010

Application Letter


Job Advertisement



Advertised on 27-8-10.

Application deadline on 26-9-10.

Software Engineer

(Singapore[Map])

Responsibilities:

  • Software Development in .NET/J2EE Architecture Platform, driver, application and utilities development works
  • To work across a wide range of countries, people, solve business issues and liase closely with partners
  • Help drive strategic business growth in region by understanding products, solutions.
  • May be required to perform pre/post-sale support and training.

Requirements:

  • Diploma/Degree in Electronics Engineering/Computer Engineering /Computer Science/Info-Communications
  • At least 1-2 years' experience in application development using Java/.NET languages
  • Strong understanding of OODC, n-tier application development
  • Strong skills in C#, ASP, ASP.Net, Javascript, Visual Basic (COM+), VB.Net,ADO.Net,.NET Framework, Web Services/SOAP and HTML
  • Proficient in C/C++ Programming
  • Understanding of current RFID technologies, architectures and topologies are added advantage
  • Independent, dynamic and technologically-inclined.
  • Able to front customer, present solutions and articulate well.
  • Fresh graduates with good knowledge in RF and Java/C or with relevant industrial attachment experience are welcome to apply




Application Letter


37 Prince George Park Residences

Residence #4 – 15-4L

National University of Singapore

Singapore 118430

(65)83039870

Kripa.agarwal@gmail.com


September 1, 2010


Mr. Chen Su Lin

NEC Asia Pacific Pte Ltd

1 Maritime Square

#12-10 HarbourFront Centre

Singapore- 009253


Dear Sir

Application for software engineer

In response to your advertisement for a software engineer on the website http://www.jobstreet.com.sg/jobs/2010/8/n/20/2354169.htm?fr=J on August 27, 2010 please consider my attached resume for the post.I have read about NEC a lot in magazines and on internet and would definitely like to work here. Even though I am a fresh graduate in Computer Engineering with the degree of Bachelor of Engineering from National University of Singapore, my resume will illustrate that I possess the required skills for the job.

In the last four years at NUS, I have done ample of CCA’s which has improved my potential and existing knowledge. I was the IT Director of Corporate Social Responsibility Movement, a student interest group at NUS. As an IT Director I made a whole new website for the committee using my skills in HTML, DHTML, and ASP.NET with C# and PHP. Also, being a Director I learned how to communicate and work effectively in a team. Besides, I have also served a role of Marketing and Web Designing Executive of Tembusu College for last two years. I now possess the required qualities of teamwork and a strong knowledge in web designing along with software engineering.

I have been doing programming in C++/Java since last 3 years which has given me enough practice to take it at a professional level already. I have also proven my communication skills through being an assistant chair for World MUN.As an assistant chair, I communicated with delegates from all over the world and helped organize the whole event. This ability of mine will help the company to liaise with partners and clients from all over the world. Thus, I have proven my ability to manage large scale projects, consistently keeping within the time and budget constraints.

In review of your company’s objectives and demands for the job, I believe that I can fulfill the requirements of the software engineer well. I will look forward for your interview call.

Thanking You

Yours sincerely

Kripa Agarwal



5 comments:

  1. Hi Kripa,

    I like how you use your co-curricular activities to highlight your qualities.

    Some suggestions:

    Instead of using "In the last four years at NUS, I have done ample of CCA’s" , it'll be better to use "actively involve in co-curricular activities (CCA)"

    "I was the IT Director of Corporate Social Responsibility Movement, a student interest group at NUS. "
    Probably something like "I have held leadership positions as ....."

    Job requirements:Independent, dynamic and technologically-inclined.
    Instead you highlighted "teamwork" so perhaps you could adjust accordingly.

    In general, I felt the language of the letter was a tad too informal.

    Cheers,
    Zhing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kripa !

    Your application letter was written pretty well as you have addressed to most of the company's requirements.

    However, the closing paragraph was a bit too brief and seems as though you were rushing through it. Instead of mentioning that you will wait for the reader to get back to you, you should ask for an interview opportunity and state a date that you will do a follow up call. Also,you could highlight a few of the company's objectives that you agree with instead of briefly mentioning it.

    Overall, good job on the application letter !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kripa!

    Nice cover letter that you have there. You list out all the components that the company is actually looking for. Some suggestions for improvement:

    I have read about NEC a lot in magazines and on internet and would definitely like to work here
    (Maybe you can put more concrete compliments here, like saying NEC as a leading electronic company famous for producing high quality laptops, etc)

    C++/Java for 3 years. Maybe you can talk about big projects that you have (I know SoC has one big software design project, you can talk about that)

    And the closing paragraph, I agree with Joanna that you might be able to put the date that you can do follow up call.

    Cheers,
    Adi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kripa,

    It is quite a good application letter. I do agree to Zhing that the letter written is a bit informal, or rather casual. In addition, you probably need to mention more about the company's background so they may gain an interest in you. Besides that, there are some grammatical errors in the body paragraph. I suggest that you may need someone to proofread. In overall, you mentioned quite clearly about your requirements and relevant experiences to your application to software engineer.

    Best regards
    Jun Lin

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Zhing

    Thanks for the feedback.I will make the required changes.I will try and make it sound more formal.

    @Joanna

    I will look at the concluding paragraph and make the required changes.Thanks for the help.

    @Adi

    Thanks for all the useful comments.I will make the changes in my first draft.

    @Jun Lin

    Thanks for the feedback.It would be helpful if you can point out some grammatical errors.I will definitely get my friend to proofread.

    ReplyDelete